Saturday, January 3, 2015

10 Tips to Being a Great Couponer

Saving money on groceries is one of the easiest ways I save money!!  With all of the coupon match-up sites available today, it really is easier then it has ever been.  I have been couponing for about 4 years now, and have been able to consistently cut my grocery bill down by at least 25%.

Here are my 10 Tips to being a GREAT Couponer: 

1. Plan
  • Go to the grocery store with a clear plan and a list.  Know exactly what you need and how much you are going to spend. 
2.  Give yourself time to plan
  • Planning for a grocery trip with coupons takes time.  I spend about 30 minutes every evening searching for deals and cutting coupons.  You need time to evaluate what you need for the week and learn what is available to you on sale.
3.  Have a budget
  • Have a weekly grocery budget, and don't budge!  Try and buy as much as you on sale, and stockpile any extras. 
4.  Keep your coupons organized at home and at the store
  • Staying organized is key!  I take the inserts out of the paper, and file them by date.  As I need them, I find them and then clip the coupons for a specific trip.  I then have them organized in an envelope as I go through the grocery store.  If you're not organized, you'll never be able to find the right coupon!
5.  Find your favorite coupon matchup site and check often  
  • My favorite coupon match-up site is livingrichwithcoupons.com, it gives you a list of what is on sale at specific grocery stores and pharmacies.  It then tells you what coupons correspond with the sale items.  They really do all of the hard work for you!  
  • During the week different coupon match-ups are added; and a lot of times it is worth going back to a store to get a cheap or even a free item with coupons.
6.  Be flexible...only buy what's on sale 
  •  Try and adjust your family meals to what is on sale.  If there's a good sale on chicken buy a lot of it, and put it in the freezer.  But always stick to your budget!
7.  Get a Raincheck...don't get discouraged
  • A lot of times stores run out of a sale item quickly, especially if you are able to get it cheap with a coupon.  However, most stores will give you a raincheck, either at the customer service desk or right at the register.  The following week, once the sale ends, the item is typically fully stocked again.
8.  Have a stockpile area
  • Create a space in your home to put all of your extra groceries.  Make it visible, and check it often.  This way you will know what you have in your home, and what you need. 
    9.  No children allowed!
    • Grocery shopping with young children is never an easy task.  Grocery shopping with coupons and kids is almost impossible!  You need to stay on task and buy what's on your list, and that's not always easy with little ones.  Try and schedule a time where you can go shopping by yourself, even if it's late at night or early in the morning - that's what I do
    10.  Donate!  
    • Finally, if there's a good deal, and you can stay within your budget, try and donate as much as you can.  Make friends with the people at your local food pantry and find out what they need.  Once you build up your stockpile, you will love being able to donate to those in need!

    5 comments:

    1. I love the idea of using coupons to help those in need. It is also great that you check the local food pantry to see what they need so they don't end up with a bunch of stuff that isn't helpful. I am in the situation with young children right now where it is hard to get out without my four 4 year-old children in tow. I will keep your advice in mind for when they are a little bigger. Thanks for the great tips!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Theresa - It's so hard to shop with kids. Sometimes I'll go out at 9:00pm just to be able to shop by myself! A bonus to that is - it's a pretty empty store! :) Happy couponing!

        Delete
    2. GREAT ideas. It's been a while since I couponed but I'd really like to get back into it and this is just what I need to get me back in gear!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Krista - Once you see how much money you save it's addicting! You won't go back. Check you livingrichwithcoupons.com - and start with one store. Good luck!

        Delete
    3. I suck at couponing, I wish I was awesome at it but I am simply not :( Just don't have the time to sit down and really coupon.

      ReplyDelete