Saturday, February 7, 2015

Tips to Save Money on Laundry

As a stay-at-home mom, I try and save money any way I can.  In my house, laundry pretty much consumes my day (or at least it feels that way)!  We are a family of 4, and I do at least 2 loads of laundry a day.  This is a huge expense, with laundry detergent, fabric softener, and electricity.





Laundry detergent is something that with the right sale, and coupons I am usually able to purchase pretty inexpensively.  My favorite coupon site, livingrichwithcoupons.com, breaks down deals at grocery stores and pharmacies, and locates the matching coupons.  I highly recommend this site!  I usually pay about $1-$2 for a 50oz. container.

However, for whatever reason, I'm not able to purchase fabric softener and cheaply as I can purchase laundry detergent, so I decided to make it myself.  And honestly, it works!!  It works better then some of the cheaper brands I have purchased!!

Here's what you need:

5 Cups Water
3 Cups White Vinegar
1 Cup Hair Conditioner (Any brand or sent you choose)



Simply put all of the ingredients into a container and mix well.  If you shake too hard, it can foam so be careful.  Use the amount that you typically would in the wash.  I put it in my Downy ball.  And it works!! 
*A quick tip - Put the ingredient list on the side of the container you used, so you can remember for next time.



As far as saving money on electricity, what I try to do is hang up at least one load of laundry a day.  In the summer I put the clothes on the clothes line outside, but in the winter, it's a little tricky.  In the winter I put at least one load a day on my drying rack downstairs.  It takes about 12 hours to dry, and cuts the electricity I would have used with my dryer in half.  It's really not that time consuming, and saves money!



A special thanks to CaliKim29 on YouTube for the fabric softener recipe!!

I hope I have helped inspire you to save money on laundry!!  Happy savings!

Kate

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

5 comments:

  1. I have to try this!!!! This is also great for sensitive skin, which I have! I already know which conditioner is "ok" for my skin. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MrsMuffinTop (love the name)! My kids have sensitive skin as well, I love that I know what I'm putting on their clothes and can control the ingredients. I promise, you'll never buy fabric softener again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I never would have thought to use conditionar. I've tried straight vinegar, but it didn't go so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kand M, I read a bunch of different ways, and this had the best reviews. Let me know what you think. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  4. Great tips for laundry. I've not added the conditioner with vinegar and will try that.

    ReplyDelete