Sunday, February 8, 2015

Valentine's Day Breakfast

With two little ones, cooking is probably the most stressful part of my day (along with eating, bathing, diaper changing, and everything else)!  So I wanted to come up with something cute and easy for Valentine's Day breakfast, and this is what I came up with:

Strawberry Heart Pancakes with a Mandarin Orange Heart

Choose your favorite pancake recipe, or you're favorite boxed mix.  Before you start putting together the pancake batter, take about 6 strawberries and mash them in a bowl.  I used a potato masher, but anything would work.


Then add the ingredients from your favorite pancake recipe. Try and leave out some of the liquid in your recipe, since the strawberries add so much.  The pancakes end up being more then crepes then pancakes, but you really need at least 6 strawberries to get that pink color.





Then I put the pancake batter into one of these cool "pancake pens" I have, but if you don't have this, you can use an empty ketchup bottle or even a plastic bag with the corner cut off.  



Make a heart in a hot, buttered pan.  (The one pictured was my 3rd try, so don't get discouraged!)





Then I took some mandarin orange segments and made a heart out of them, which made a perfect spot for the syrup!


There you have it, an easy, healthy and yummy breakfast, lunch or dinner!!  Good luck! :)



If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's so easy and healthy - and who doesn't love a pink pancake!! Good luck Lynne - let me know how they turn out! :)

      Delete
  2. Cute! We do pancakes all the time, but I've never made them into shapes. Maybe for Valentine's I'll get brave and give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh! I will be making these with our new gf pancake mix. I never thought about using strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan - My sister and mother have celiac, so I have been doing lots of GF baking lately. Recently I wrote to Cup4Cup, and they sent me a bunch of coupons. Cup4Cup is the best flour that I've used so far. Hope you enjoy your pancakes!!

      Delete
  4. Great post and very timely bc my 4 year old daughter JUST asked if she could have heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast. And, we happen to have an old ketchup bottle I can use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These turned out great. I need a pancake pen. That's going to be one of my next purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa - You can find them anywhere, but an old ketchup bottle works just as well! Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  6. Heart shaped anything is my favorite way to eat on Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative . . . you must be doing something right if you are making a hot breakfast! I just wrote today on my blog about the importance of breakfast and my go to, oatmeal. My grandson would love these pancakes.

    ReplyDelete